Chicken Wild Rice Soup
“I’m originally from Minnesota, where wild rice grows in abundance and is very popular in recipes. This creamy chicken and wild rice soup has been part of our Christmas Eve menu for years. To save time, I cook the chicken and wild rice and cut up the vegetables the day before.” —Virginia Montmarquet, Riverside, California
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms chopped
- 1 cup celery finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup butter cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (10-3/4 oz.), undiluted
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (or additional chicken broth)
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups cooked chicken cubed
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 9 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In Dutch oven, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Whisk in soup and wine. Add rice and chicken; heat through.
1 cup: 154 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 807mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fibre), 10g protein.