Chicken Soft Tacos
“My family loves these tacos. The chicken filling cooks in the slow-cooker, so it’s convenient to throw it together before I leave for work. At the end of the day, I just have to roll it up in a soft taco shell with the remaining ingredients and dinner’s ready in minutes. The chicken also makes a great topping for salad.” —Cheryl Newendorp, Pella, Iowa
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken cut up and skin removed, 3-1/2 pounds
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 ounces
- 1 can chopped green chiles 4 ounces
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 10 flour tortillas warmed, 8 inches
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1-1/4 cups salsa
- 1-1/4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato chopped
- sour cream optional
- Place the chicken in a 4-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, chiles, onion, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low until chicken is tender and juices run clear, 5-6 hours.
- Remove the chicken. Shred meat with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Spoon 1/2 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top with cheese, salsa, lettuce, tomato and sour cream if desired; roll up.
2 tacos: 749 calories, 29g fat (13g saturated fat), 157mg cholesterol, 1454mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fibre), 52g protein.