“If you’re not familiar with chicken mole (pronounced mo-LAY), don’t be afraid of this versatile Mexican sauce. I love sharing this chicken mole recipe because it’s a great one to experiment with.” —Darlene Morris, Franklinton, Louisiana
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 12 bone-in chicken thighs about 4-1/2 pounds, skin removed
- 1 tsp salt
- Mole Sauce
- 1 can whole tomatoes 28 ounces, drained
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 dried ancho chiles stems and seeds removed
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds toasted
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and halved
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Fresh cilantro leaves optional
- Sprinkle chicken with salt; place in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Place the tomatoes, onion, chiles, almonds, raisins, chocolate, oil, chipotle pepper, garlic, cumin and cinnamon in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender; skim fat. Serve chicken with sauce, and sprinkle with cilantro if desired.
- Freeze option: Cool chicken in mole sauce. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered skillet or Dutch oven until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
1 chicken thigh with 1/3 cup sauce: 311 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 378mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fibre), 26g protein.