Cherry Upside-Down Bread Pudding
“I’ve always loved bread pudding, and I enjoy fixing this for my family on a chilly day. You could use a different flavour of pie filling and omit the chocolate chips to make a completely different dessert. It’s always delicious!” —Ronna Farley, Rockville, Maryland
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|12servings||20minutes + cooling||2-3/4hours|
|12servings||20minutes + cooling|
- 1 loaf sliced white bread (16 oz)
- 1 can cherry pie filling (21 oz)
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 large eggs room temperature
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- sweetened whipped cream optional
- Place bread slices on ungreased baking sheets. Broil each pan 3-4 in. from heat until golden brown, 1-2 minutes on each side; let cool. Cut into 1-inch pieces; set aside.
- Spoon pie filling into a greased 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl cream butter and sugar until crumbly. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in milk, cinnamon and vanilla (mixture may appear curdled). Gently stir in chocolate chips and bread cubes; let stand until bread is softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low until set and a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean, 2-3/4-3-1/4 hours. Serve warm, with whipped cream if desired.
3/4 cup: 393 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 305mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.