Cherry Rhubarb Crunch
“My husband’s grandmother gave me this recipe, along with a bundle of rhubarb, when we were first married. I had never cared for rhubarb, but after trying this dessert, I changed my mind. Now my children dig in, too!” —Sharon Wasikowski, Middleville, Michigan
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter cubed
- 4 cups diced rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 can cherry pie filling 21 ounces
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- vanilla ice cream optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, flour and salt; stir well. Cut in butter until crumbly. Pat 2 cups of mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; cover with rhubarb.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water; cook until mixture is thickened and clear. Stir in extract and cherry filling; spoon over rhubarb. Combine nuts with reserved crumb mixture; sprinkle over cherries. Bake until filling is bubbly and topping is lightly browned, 40-45 minutes. If desired, serve with ice cream.
1 piece: 294 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 116mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fibre), 3g protein.