Broccoli Quiche With Phyllo Crust
Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses Special diet
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
4 tsp (20 mL) butter
4 tsp (20 mL) all-purpose flour
1½ cups (375 mL) milk, hot
2 tsp (10 mL) salt
¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
2 cups (500 mL) chopped broccoli (roasted or steamed, and well drained)
2 cups (500 mL) grated white cheddar
9 sheets phyllo pastry
¼ cup (50 mL) melted butter or olive oil
⅓ cup (75 mL) bread crumbs
- Melt butter in a small saucepan and whisk in flour. Cook gently for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk. Bring to a boil and cook gently for 3 to 5 minutes. Beat eggs in a bowl and slowly whisk sauce into eggs. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- For crust, place phyllo pastry (covered with a sheet of plastic and damp tea towel) butter and bread crumbs near work surface. Place one sheet of phyllo on work surface, covering the rest to prevent drying. Brush pastry lightly with butter, then sprinkle with bread crumbs. Repeat five times. Gently lift the six layers into a 10-in (25-cm) pie dish.
- For the top, brush three sheets of phyllo with butter and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Cut each one in half, lengthwise. Fold each in half, lengthwise, twice. Brush with any remaining butter and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- To assemble, sprinkle bottom of crust with half the broccoli and half the cheese. Pour in egg mixture. Sprinkle with remaining broccoli and cheese. Create a mock lattice crust: Place the strips of pastry across the pie (cut off edges where strips are too long and use on sides where long strips are not needed). Trim outer edges of pastry back to about 2-5 cm and fold up over the edge of pie dish.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 425ûF (220ûC) oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 350ûF (180ûC) and bake for 20 to 25 minutes longer, until a thermometer inserted into the centre reads 160ûF (70ûC) or until filling is set. (Check every 10 minutes after turning oven down and cover with aluminum foil if pastry is getting too brown.) Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:3010