Number of servings : 6 to 8
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
10 6-inch corn tortillas
2 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1-1/2 cups chopped green onions, green parts only
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup store-bought salsa or Salsa Rio Grande
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 (11-ounce) cans black bean soup
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
10 ounces reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded (2-1/2 cups)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. Bake the tortillas in a single layer on baking sheets for about 10 minutes or until crisp. Set aside to cool.
3. In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, combine the tomatoes and their juice, green onions, onion, salsa, and cumin. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, uncovered, for 8 minutes.
4. Stir in the soup and black beans, and cook 5 minutes or until heated through.
5. Spread one-third of the bean mixture over the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top with half of the tortillas, overlapping as necessary, and sprinkle over 1 cup of the cheese. Add another third of the bean mixture, top with the remaining tortillas, and sprinkle on 1 cup of the cheese. Finish the layers with the last third of the bean mixture and remaining ½ cup cheese.
6. Bake the casserole for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through, and serve hot.
*If you find yourself short on time, feel free to buy baked tortilla shells from the grocery store instead of toasting them yourself.
Excerpted from The Casserole Queens Cookbook by Crystal Cook and Sandy Pollock Copyright © 2011 by Crystal Cook and Sandy Pollock . Excerpted by permission of Clarkson Potter, a division of Random House of Canada Limited. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.