Basic Pizza Dough
Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses Special diet
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
1 envelope active dry yeast
10 ml (2 tsp) sugar
500 ml (2 cups) warm water
450 g (4 ½ cups) white flour
30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
5 ml (1 tsp) salt
- In a small bowl, dissolve the sugar in one cup of warm water and gently stir in the yeast. Set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Place the flour in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour the yeast mixture and the remaining warm water into the well, along with the olive oil and salt. Mix with your hands until the dough forms a ball.
- Place the dough on a floured work surface and knead for about 10 minutes, or until it no longer sticks to your hands.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Allow to rise for about an hour and a half.
- Return the dough to the floured surface and knead again for 10 minutes.
- Place the dough on an oiled baking sheet, cover with a towel and let rise another 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Use immediately or freeze for later use.
Tip: Dough will keep well in the freezer for a couple months. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place in an airtight freezer bag. Before using, thaw in the refrigerator for 12 hours or defrost at room temperature for about 4 or 5 hours.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2315