Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Side Dishes | Side Dishes
Special diet :
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 can (398 ml) diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons sundried tomato paste
½ cup dry red wine
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
pepper to taste
3 small eggplants, about 700 g in total, cut into 1 cm slices
3 zucchinis, about 450 g in total, thinly sliced
½ teaspoon ground cumin
400 g plain low-fat yogourt
2 eggs, beaten
2½ tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1½ tablespoons oil in a saucepan, add the onion and cook for about 8 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute, stirring. Stir in the diced tomatoes with their juice, the tomato paste, wine and bay leaf. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and let the sauce bubble for a further 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove the bay leaf. Stir in the parsley and pepper.
- While the sauce is simmering, preheat the broiler. Lightly brush the eggplant and zucchini slices with the remaining 2½ tablespoons oil. Cook under the broiler, in batches, for 3–4 minutes on each side or until browned and very tender.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Stir the cumin into half of the yogourt. Arrange one-third of the eggplant slices, in one layer, in a large ovenproof dish with a capacity of about 2½ litres. Spoon over half of the tomato sauce. Arrange half of the zucchini slices on top, in one layer, then drizzle with half of the cumin-flavoured yogourt. Repeat the layers, then finish with a layer of the remaining eggplant slices.
- Mix the remaining 200 g yogourt with the beaten eggs and half of the Parmesan cheese. Spoon the yogourt mixture over the top layer of eggplant, spreading with the back of the spoon to cover evenly. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 40–45 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and set, and the sauce is bubbling. Serve hot, in the baking dish.
Per serving: 336 calories, 17 g protein, 21 g total fat, 4 g saturated fat, 120 mg cholesterol, 18 g total carbohydrate, 18 g sugars, 8 g fibre, 256 mg sodium.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:3186