Number of servings : 6
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
1 whole bone-in turkey breast (3 to 3-1/2 lb / 1.5 to 1.7 kg)
1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt
1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
2 celery ribs, cut into 1-in (2.5 cm) pieces
2 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
5 sprigs fresh thyme, plus 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped
1/2 cup (125 mL) low-sugar orange marmalade, warmed
2 cups (500 mL) apple juice
1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine, apple juice, or cider
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Rinse turkey, pat dry with paper towels, and rub skin all over with salt and pepper.
- Combine celery, half of apples, half of onion, and 3 thyme sprigs in roasting pan, and mound in centre.
- Toss 1/4 cup (60 mL) of the marmalade and the chopped thyme with remaining apples and onion in medium bowl. Stuff half of mixture under turkey skin; place remaining mixture in neck cavity.
- Place turkey on top of vegetable mixture in roasting pan. Lightly coat turkey with nonstick cooking spray (preferably olive-oil flavoured) and top with remaining thyme sprigs. Pour apple juice into pan. Roast 1 hour, discard thyme sprigs, and baste turkey with 2 tbsp (30 mL) marmalade.
- Continue roasting until turkey is golden brown and instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of turkey (not touching bone) reaches 170ºF (75ºC), about 15 minutes longer, basting with remaining marmalade. Let stand 10 minutes to set juices.
- Transfer turkey to platter. Stir wine into apples and vegetables in pan (do not strain). Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan with wooden spoon, until pan liquid is reduced by half. Serve apple-vegetable sauce alongside turkey. Discard skin before eating.
Combine celery, half of apples, half of onion, and 3 thyme sprigs in roasting pan, and mound in centre.
Toss 1/4 cup (60 mL) of the marmalade and the chopped thyme with remaining apples and onion in medium bowl. Stuff half of mixture under turkey skin; place remaining mixture in neck cavity.