Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
1 whole bone-in turkey breast (3 to 3 ½ lbs / 1.5 to 1.7 kg)
1 ½ tsp (7 mL) salt
1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
2 celery ribs, cut into 1-in (2.5 cm) pieces
2 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
5 sprigs fresh thyme, plus 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped
½ cup (125 mL) low-sugar orange marmalade, warmed
2 cups (500 mL) apple juice
½ cup (125 mL) dry white wine, apple juice or cider
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Rinse turkey, pat dry with paper towels, and rub skin all over with salt and pepper.
- Combine celery, half of apples, half of onion and 3 sprigs of thyme in roasting pan, and mound in centre.
- Toss ¼ cup (60 mL) of the marmalade and the chopped thyme with remaining apples and onion in medium bowl. Stuff half of mixture under turkey skin; place remaining mixture in neck cavity.
- Place turkey on top of vegetable mixture in roasting pan. Lightly coat turkey with nonstick cooking spray (preferably olive-oil flavoured) and top with remaining thyme sprigs. Pour apple juice into pan. Roast 1 hour, discard thyme sprigs, and baste turkey with 2 tbsp (30 mL) marmalade.
- Continue roasting until turkey is golden brown and instant—read thermometer inserted in thickest part of turkey (not touching bone) reaches 170ºF (75ºC), about 15 minutes longer, basting with remaining marmalade. Let stand 10 minutes to set juices.
- Transfer turkey to platter. Stir wine into apples and vegetables in pan (do not strain). Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan with wooden spoon, until pan liquid is reduced by half. Serve apple-vegetable sauce alongside turkey. Discard skin before eating.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2968