Number of servings : 4
Prep time: 10 minutes + 1 hour, chilling time
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Type of meal : | Salads | Salads
Special diet : | Low fat | Low calorie
800 g thin rhubarb stalks
1 vanilla bean
2⁄3 cup (160 ml) dry white wine
3 to 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
500 g strawberries
2 tablespoons orange liqueur
1 tablespoon icing (confectioners’) sugar
- Peel rhubarb stalks and cut into small pieces.
- Split open vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out seeds. Cut in half crosswise. Place rhubarb, vanilla pod, vanilla seeds, wine and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cook rhubarb, covered, over low heat 4 to 5 minutes. The pieces should still hold their shape and not become very soft. Remove from heat, let rhubarb cool. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Remove vanilla bean and spoon rhubarb into small bowls. Cut about two–thirds of the strawberries into pieces and place in food processor with orange liqueur and icing sugar.
- Purée until a strawberry froth forms on the surface.
5. Pour puréed strawberries over rhubarb pieces. Garnish with remaining strawberries.
Health Bites: At 4 g of protein (and no fat!) per serving, this fruit salad is both delicious and healthy.