Number of servings :
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Type of meal : | Soups | Soups
Special diet :
2½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 tablespoons olive oil
2–3 cloves garlic
A few sprigs of fresh basil
½ cup (100g) split red lentils
1 can (19oz / 540ml) canned chopped tomatoes
1 packet (4½ oz / 125g) cream cheese
Salt and black pepper
- Put the stock on to heat. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Peel and chop the shallots and garlic and fry gently for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Rinse and dry the basil, reserve a few leaves for a garnish, then shred enough to give 1 tablespoon.
- Rinse and drain the lentils, and add them to the pan with the stock and the tomatoes. Bring
to the boil, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, adding half the shredded basil after 10 minutes.
- Beat the cream cheese in a small bowl until softened. Stir in the remaining shredded basil.
- Blend or process the soup to a purée and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with spoonfuls of the cream cheese mixture; garnish with basil leaves.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2139