Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Soups | Soups
Special diet :
2 onions, chopped finely
60 ml (4 tbsp) extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 carrot, diced
2 sprigs thyme
225 g (1/2 lb) cremini mushrooms, sliced
2 L (8 cups) chicken stock
225 g (1/2 lb) spelt*
- In a saucepan, brown the onions in the oil.
- Add the garlic and brown lightly. Add the carrots and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add the thyme and mushrooms, and cook until all the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are lightly browned.
- Add the stock and the spelt, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, or until the spelt is cooked.
- Remove the thyme and garlic before serving.
*Spelt is a grain that looks a little like barley, but tastes quite different. It is readily available in natural food stores or in Italian grocery stores (spelt is farro in Italian).
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2557