Number of servings : 4
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
Type of meal : | Salads | Salads
Special diet :
4 slices bacon, halved
4 large fresh portabella Mushrooms (340g) stems removed
1 tbsp olive oil (15 mL)
1 tsp dried basil (5 mL)
¼ tsp Each salt and pepper (1 mL)
4 tbsp crumbled Chevre cheese (60 mL)
1 large tomato, sliced into 4 thick slices
2 cups mixed greens (mesculin, arugula, baby spinach) (500 mL)
¼ cup slivered red onion (50 mL)
2 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette (25 mL)
Garnish: chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Place bacon in single layer on one end of large rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 425°F (220°C) for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile brush both sides of mushrooms with oil. Remove baking sheet and place mushrooms stem side down on other end of baking sheet. Bake for 4 minutes.
- Then remove baking sheet again and turn mushrooms over stem side up. Sprinkle evenly with basil, salt and pepper.
- Top each mushroom with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of goat cheese and a slice of tomato.
- Return to all to oven for 4-5 minutes longer or until mushrooms are soft and bacon is cooked.
- Meanwhile, toss greens and red onion with vinaigrette.
- Drain bacon on paper towels. Place mushrooms on individual salad plates. Top each with 2 slices of bacon. Spoon salad mixture on top. Sprinkle with fresh basil, if desired and serve while warm.
Makes 4 servings.
• For ease of clean up, line baking sheet with parchment paper.
• For convenience omit cooking bacon slices and use pre-cooked bacon slices or ¼ cup (60 mL) of pre-cooked bacon pieces.
• Substitute 8 thin slices of pancetta for the 4 slices of bacon. It cooks faster so just bake it with the mushrooms for about 6-8 minutes or until crisp. Pancetta is Italian bacon that is not smoked and is available in the deli section of the grocery store.
For more delicious recipe ideas visit Mushrooms Canada at www.mushrooms.ca.