Meat Loaf Muffins
“Serve these tangy meat loaf muffins for dinner or slice them up for a take-along sandwich lunch. They’re just as flavourful after freezing.” —Cheryl Norwood, Canton, Georgia
Taste of Home
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1-1/2 lb lean ground beef 90% lean
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- Additional ketchup optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Mix the first 5 ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Press about 1/3 cupful into each of 12 ungreased muffin cups.
- Bake 15 minutes. Brush tops of loaves with 3 tablespoons ketchup; bake until a thermometer reads 160°, 5-7 minutes. If desired, serve with additional ketchup.
- Freeze option: Bake muffins without ketchup; cover and freeze on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet until firm. Transfer muffins to an airtight freezer container; return to freezer. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Place muffins on a greased shallow baking pan. Spread with ketchup. Bake in a preheated 350° oven until heated through.
2 mini meat loaves: 260 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 350mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fibre), 24g protein.