Grilled Fresh Tuna Salad Niçoise
In the classic version of this French salad, vegetables are arranged on separate plate. But here, they’re tossed together in a lemon vinaigrette. Thick, fresh tuna steaks are cooked to medium-rare, sliced, and placed on top of the tossed salad.
Number of servings : 4
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cooking time: 20 Minutes
Type of meal : | Salads | Salads
Special diet :
1 pound small red-skinned potatoes, cut into eighths
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 ounces green beans, cut into 2-inch lengths
2 tuna steaks (1 inch thick, 1 1/2 pounds total)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 bunch watercress, tough stems trimmed
1 endive, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
1. In a large pot of boiling water, cook the potatoes for 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, oil, mustard, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Add the potatoes while still warm, tossing to coat.
3. In a vegetable steamer, steam the green beans for 4 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Add to the bowl with the potatoes, and toss to combine.
4. Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Place the tuna on a broiler pan and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Broil 6 inches from the heat for 3 minutes per side for medium-rare.
5. Add the tomatoes, watercress, and endive to the bowl, tossing well. To serve, slice the tuna and place on top of the salad mixture.