Grampa’s German-Style Pot Roast
“Grampa was of German heritage and loved the old-world recipes his mother gave him. I made a few changes so I could prepare this dish in the slow cooker and give it a slightly updated flavour.” —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|8servings||20minutes||6hours + standing|
|6hours + standing|
- 4 thick-sliced bacon strips
- 1 lb baby Yukon Gold potatoes
- 4 medium carrots sliced
- 1 can sauerkraut rinsed and well drained, 14 ounces
- 3/4 cup chopped dill pickles
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast 3 pounds
- 2 packages frozen pearl onions thawed, 14.4 ounces each
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup stout beer or beef broth
- 1/3 cup Dusseldorf mustard
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes, carrots, sauerkraut and pickles in a 7-qt. slow cooker. Mix paprika, allspice, salt and pepper; rub over roast. Brown roast in drippings over medium heat. Transfer to slow cooker. Add onions and garlic to drippings; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in beer and mustard; pour over meat. Crumble bacon; add to slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours, until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove roast; let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Strain cooking juices. Reserve vegetables and juices; skim fat. Return reserved vegetables and cooking juices to slow cooker. Stir in sour cream; heat through. Serve with roast; sprinkle with parsley.
1 serving: 552 calories, 31g fat (12g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 926mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fibre), 39g protein.