Creamy Chicken Vol-au-Vent
“My friends and I have been getting together for ‘ladies lunches’ for years. These vol-au-vents are the perfect no-fuss fancy food; they look complicated, but are actually simple and fun to make. Whenever I think of good friends and good company, I think of these savoury pastries.” —Shauna Havey, Roy, Utah
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|6servings||20minutes + chilling||20 minutes|
|6servings||20minutes + chilling|
- 1 package frozen puff pastry thawed (17.3 oz)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 6 bacon strips
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only) diced
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper diced
- 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Minced fresh parsley plus additional ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, unfold one puff pastry sheet. Using a 3-1/4-in. round cutter, cut out six circles. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Unfold the remaining pastry sheet. Cut six more circles out with the 3-1/4-in. round cutter; with a 2-1/2-in. cutter, cut centers out of the circles. Place the rings on top of the circles that are on the baking sheet. Place the center circles also on the baking sheet. In a small bowl, whisk egg and water; brush over pastries. Chill 15 minutes. Bake until dark golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Discard all but 1 tablespoon drippings. Add leeks and pepper to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until tender, 5-7 minutes. Reduce heat to low; stir in bacon, chicken, cream cheese, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until blended; remove from heat.
- When cool enough to handle, hollow out pastries with a small knife. Fill with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with parsley and pepper. Serve with small center pastries on the side.
NOTE: The two sheets of puff pastry dough in a standard box will give you enough for 6 vou-au-vents.
1 filled pastry: 669 calories, 45g fat (16g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 670mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 19g protein.