Crabby Dipper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Gooey, rich and delicious, this grilled cheese is simply “melty yumminess,” according to its creator, chef Michael Howell from the Tempest Restaurant in Wolfville, Nova Scotia.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time||Passive Time|
|Cook Time||Passive Time|
- Lemon Mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Crab Dip
- 3/4 cup crab meat
- 1/3 cup cream cheese softened
- 1 jar marinated artichokes drained and chopped
- 1 tsp fresh parsley chopped
- to taste ground black pepper
- 4 oz smoked Canadian gouda cut into thin slices
- 4 slices Italian whole wheat sandwich bread thick
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon zest and juice; mix well. Allow flavors to blend about 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine crab, cream cheese, artichokes, parsley and 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the lemon mayonnaise. Taste and season with pepper. Add a dash of hot sauce if you dare!
- To assemble the sandwiches, divide half of the cheese slices on two slices of bread and spread the crab mixture on top. Top with remaining cheese and bread. Spread the remaining mayonnaise on the outside of each sandwich.
- In a large non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium low heat. Cook sandwiches, turning once for 6 to 8 minutes, or until browned and cheese is melted.
- *Bread: Place bread slices on a cooling rack and air dry for one hour.
Serve with some “peel and eat” crab legs and some cocktail sauce.
Prepare the lemon mayonnaise up to three days ahead and the crab dip up to 24 hours; cover and refrigerate. Check crabmeat thoroughly for shells and remove any cartilage. If using frozen crab, thaw and press firmly in a sieve to remove any liquid. For a zesty twist, use any left-over lemon mayonnaise on other grilled cheese sandwiches.