Chipotle Chili Dogs
“Long live childhood favourites! I created this recipe for the 125th anniversary of a small town in Minnesota. The medium spice level means that people of all ages love the flavours.” —Barb Templin, Norwood, Minnesota
Photo: Taste of Home
- 6 hot dogs
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 ounces
- 2-1/2 tsp minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 6 hot dog buns split
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions chopped
- Cook hot dogs according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, chipotle peppers, chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until flavors are blended, 4-5 minutes.
- Place hot dogs in buns. Spoon chili over hot dogs. Sprinkle with cheese and green onions.
1 serving: 420 calories, 25g fat (12g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 1096mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fibre), 20g protein.