Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Soups | Soups Special diet : Ingredients
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Soups | Soups
Special diet :
2.5-kilogram stewing hen or 900 g chicken wing tips, necks, and backs
3 stalks celery, sliced
1 large carrot, sliced
1 large onion, quartered
1 leek, sliced
6 sprigs fresh parsley
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine all the ingredients. Add enough water to cover the chicken mixture (about 10 to 12 cups). Over moderately low heat, bring the mixture slowly to a boil, using a slotted spoon to skim off and discard any fat or scum that rises to the surface.
- Reduce the heat, partly cover the saucepan, and simmer gently until the stock is well flavoured, about 3 hours. The longer you simmer the stock, the richer the flavour.
- Line a fine sieve with cheesecloth and set it over a large bowl. Slowly pour the stock through the sieve; discard the solids.
- Let the stock cool to room temperature. Pour the stock into serving-size, airtight containers; cover, label, and date.
- Store the stock in the refrigerator for a week or freeze for up to 6 months. If fat congeals on top of the stock while refrigerated or frozen, remove and discard before using the stock.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:1209