Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Salads | Salads
Special diet :
1 head broccoli, trimmed
¼ cup (50 mL) thinly sliced red onion
19 oz (540 mL) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
6 oz (175 g) canned tuna (preferably Italian or Spanish pink tuna packed in olive oil)
½ cup (125 mL) pitted black olives, halved
¼ cup (50 mL) chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp (25 mL) lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 ½ tsp (7 mL) salt
¼ tsp (1 mL) black pepper
¼ cup (50 mL) olive oil
- If broccoli has thick stems, peel about 1 in (2.5 cm) up the stalks. Cut broccoli into ½-in (1-cm) pieces, keeping the stems and florets separate.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add stems and cook for 3 minutes. Add florets and cook for 2 minutes longer. (Broccoli should be tender and bright green.)
- Drain. Rinse in cold water, drain again and pat dry. Place in a large bowl.
- To cook eggs, bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) salt. Add eggs gently. Bring to a boil. Cover tightly. Turn off heat and let eggs sit in hot water for 15 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, gently crack shells and cool in cold water. Peel. Cut each egg into 6 wedges. Set aside.
- Add onions, chickpeas, tuna, olives and parsley to broccoli. Combine gently. Tuna will break up just by tossing salad.
- Make dressing by whisking lemon juice with garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil. Add to salad. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Place in a salad bowl and garnish with eggs.
Makes 6 servings