Beef Roast Dinner
“Because this healthy dish is slow-cooked, you can use less expensive roasts with results as mouthwatering as the more costly cuts. Change up the veggies for variety, nutrition or to suit your tastes!” —Sandra Dudley, Bemidji, Minnesota
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 lb red potatoes (3-4 medium), cubed
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby carrots
- 1 medium green pepper chopped
- 1 medium parsnip chopped
- 1/4 lb small fresh mushrooms
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 lbs.)
- 1 can beef broth (14-1/2 oz.)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Place vegetables in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cut roast in half; place over vegetables. Mix broth and seasonings; pour over roast. Cook, covered, on low until meat and vegetables are tender, 7-9 hours.
- Remove roast and vegetables from slow cooker; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with roast and vegetables.
1 serving: 304 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 533mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fibre), 36g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch.