Number of servings : 4 cups
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Type of meal : | Soups | Soups
Special diet : | Low fat
2 large carrots, coarsely chopped
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
1 large tomato, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 medium turnip, coarsely chopped
1 small parsnip, coarsely chopped
1 cup shredded Romaine lettuce
6 sprigs parsley
1 clove garlic
1 bay leaf
¾ teaspoon dried thyme
7 cups water
- In large stockpot, combine carrots, onion, celery, tomato, turnip, parsnip, lettuce, parsley, garlic, bay leaf, and thyme. Add water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, skimming foam from surface as necessary.
- Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Line strainer with two layers of dampened cheesecloth. Strain stock into large bowl.
- Discard vegetables and herbs. Cool stock completely.