Asian Shredded Pork Sandwiches
“On cool-weather weeknights, the slow cooker is our friend. The plums might surprise in these juicy pork sandwiches, but they add a little sweetness and make the meat extra tender.” —Holly Battiste, Barrington, New Jersey
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 can plums 15 oz., drained and pitted
- 1 tbsp Sriracha chili sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast 3 lbs.
- 4 medium carrots finely chopped
- 10 ciabatta rolls split
- napa cabbage or other cabbage, split
- Mix first 11 ingredients. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown roast on all sides.
- Place carrots in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add roast; pour plum mixture over top. Cook, covered, on low until pork is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Remove pork; shred with two forks. Skim fat from carrot mixture; stir in pork and heat through. Serve on rolls with cabbage.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled pork mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently and adding a little broth if necessary.
1 sandwich: 637 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 864mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 5g fibre), 34g protein.