All-Day Red Beans & Rice
“My family loves New Orleans-style cooking, so I make this authentic dish often. I appreciate how uncomplicated it is. And its smoky ham flavour is scrumptious.” —Celinda Dahlgren, Napa, California
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|6servings||20minutes + soaking time||8-1/2hours|
|6servings||20minutes + soaking time|
- 1 cup dried red beans
- 7 cups water divided
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 medium green pepper chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- Sort beans and rinse in cold water. Place beans in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add 4 cups water; cover and let stand overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to slow cooker; add the ham hocks, onion, garlic, cumin and remaining water. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove ham hocks; cool slightly. Remove meat from bones. Finely chop meat and return to slow cooker; discard bones. Stir in the tomato, pepper and salt; cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until pepper is tender. Serve with rice.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled bean mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary.
2/3 bean mixture with 2/3 cup rice: 297 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 441mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 12g fibre), 17g protein