Healthy Pepperoni Pizza
Instead of ordering a greasy restaurant pizza, make one yourself and do your heart good. With its abundance of vegetables, this pizza provides a range of nutrients which promote the absorption of iron in the body.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 300 g thick pizza base ready-made
- 30 g pepperoni about 16 slices
- 140 g button mushroom trimmed and sliced
- 1 large onion cut into thin wedges
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 3/4 cup tomato purée no salt
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese grated and reduced-fat
- 4 tbsp parsley chopped
- 4 tomatoes sliced
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp olive oil extra light
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Line a 30 cm pizza tray or a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic and oregano and fry over a medium heat until the mushrooms are golden-brown, about 7 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, sprinkle with the vinegar, and cover. Remove from the heat and let stand for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the pizza base on the pizza tray. Spread over the tomato paste. Top with the vegetable mixture, pepperoni and mozzarella, then sprinkle over the parsley.
- Bake until the crust is golden-brown and crisp and the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve hot.