Lime-Chipotle Carnitas Tostadas
“Here’s a terrific recipe for your next weeknight dinner. Set out various toppings and garnishes so your family members can customize their own tostadas with the lime-kissed shredded pork.” —Jan Valdez, Chicago, Illinois
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons ground chipotle pepper
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast 4 to 5 pounds, halved
- 1 large onion peeled and halved
- 8 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 - 2 limes halved
- 16 tostada shells
- warmed refried beans optional
- lime wedges optional
- salsa optional
- sour cream optional
- minced fresh cilantro optional
- shredded lettuce optional
- chopped avocado optional
- crumbled queso fresco optional
- Add broth to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Mix seasonings; rub over all sides of pork. Place in slow cooker. Add onion and garlic cloves. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours, until meat is tender.
- Remove pork; cool slightly. Strain cooking juices, reserving garlic cloves; discard onion. Skim fat from cooking juices. Mash garlic with a fork. Shred pork with 2 forks.
- Return cooking juices, garlic and pork to slow cooker. Squeeze lime juice over pork; heat through, stirring to combine. Layer tostada shells with pork mixture and toppings as desired. Serve with lime wedges.
1 tostada: 269 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fibre), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat, 1/2 starch.