Number of servings : 30
Type of meal : | Cookies | Cookies
Special diet :
2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (60 mL) lavender sugar (see tip at bottom)
1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
1/3 cup (75 mL) non-hydrogenated margarine
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup (125 mL) 2% milk
2 tsp (10 mL) lemon extract
1 tbsp (15 mL) dried lavender buds (optional)
1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar
2 * to 3 tbsp (22 – 45 mL) 2% milk
2 tsp (10 mL) non-hydrogenated margarine
1 tsp (5 mL) lemon extract
Preheat oven to 325ºF (160ºC)
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, lavender sugar and baking powder. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together egg, milk and lemon extract. Pour over flour mixture and stir just until a stiff dough forms (do not over mix).
3. Drop 1 tablespoonful (15 mL) about 2 inches (5 cm) apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until bottoms are golden. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
4. Frosting: In small bowl, combine icing sugar, milk, margarine and lemon extract to form a smooth, thin frosting.
5. Drizzle frosting over cooled cookies and sprinkle with lavender buds (if using).
Tips: To make lavender sugar, combine 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar and 2 tbsp (30 mL) dried culinary lavender (make sure it hasn’t been sprayed or treated). Place in an airtight container and store at room temperature for 2 weeks, shaking the container occasionally to distribute the lavender and infuse the flavor. Before use, strain the sugar to remove the lavender.
For the most even baking, bake one sheet at a time. If you do bake both sheets at once, place one in the upper third of the oven and one in the lower third. Switch their positions halfway through.
Excerpted from Dietitians of Canada, COOK! by Mary Sue Waisman © 2011 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.