Italian Chicken Soup
This satisfying soup gets its Italian flair from fennel, thyme, basil and orzo pasta. If you don’t start with a low-sodium or sodium-free stock, you might want to decrease the amount of salt called for in the recipe.
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 fennel bulb chopped
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups hot water
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups carrots chopped
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast cubed
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 tbsp fennel fronds finely chopped
- In a Dutch oven, saute fennel bulb and onion in oil until fennel is tender. Add the next 7 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduced heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and orzo. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until orzo is tender. Stir in fennel fronds.
1-1/2 cups: 279 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 829mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fibre), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.