Hazelnut, Pistachio and Orange Confit Shortbread Cookies
Number of servings : 28 Medium Cookies Prep time: Cooking time: 15 Minutes Type of meal : | Cookies |
Number of servings : 28 Medium Cookies
Cooking time: 15 Minutes
Type of meal : | Cookies | Cookies
Special diet :
1/2 cup (125 mL) hazelnuts
1 1/4 cup (300 mL) all-purpose flour
2/3 cup (150 mL) unsalted butter
1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped candied orange peel
¼ cup (50 mL) shelled unsalted pistachios, chopped
For the Decoration:
½ cup (125 mL) whipping cream
4 oz (125 g) good-quality bittersweet dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
1 tbsp (15 mL) unsalted butter, chopped into small pieces
2 tbsp (25 mL) shredded organic dried rose petals
tbsp (25 mL) shelled unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). On a rimmed baking sheet, toast hazelnuts until fragrant and skins begin to split, around 15 minutes. Let cool. Place nuts in clean kitchen towel; gather edges together and rub vigorously to remove as much of the brown papery skins as possible. Transfer nuts to food processor with ¼ cup (50 mL) of the flour; grind into a fine powder. Leave oven on.
- In a stand mixer bowl, or in large bowl with electric beaters, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. While mixing at low speed, add remaining flour, salt and ground hazelnuts until incorporated. Gently fold in orange peel and pistachios with a spatula. Roll dough into a ball; flatten into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Let the dough come to room temperature and knead on a generously floured work surface; roll out to ¼-inch (0.6 cm) thickness. Cut out cookies with a medium-sized heart-shaped cutter. Place on prepared baking sheets, spacing 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart, then chill in fridge, 10 minutes. Bake 15 minutes, until cookie bottoms just start to turn pale gold. Remove cookies from oven and leave on trays on rack to partially cool, 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to rack and let cool completely.
For the Decoration:
- To make ganache: in medium saucepan over medium heat, heat cream just until steam rises, about 5 minutes (do not let boil). Pour onto chocolate and butter in medium heatproof bowl; whisk until smooth; transfer to small dessert bowl for dipping.
- Dip one end of cookie in ganache to desired depth and angle. Place cookie on greased parchment paper–lined tray; sprinkle with pistachios and rose petals. Let chocolate set, at least 20 minutes.
(Photo: Tango Photographie)