Feta Shrimp Skillet
“On our honeymoon in Greece, my husband and I had a dish like this one. I tried to re-create the flavours in this recipe when we got home. When I make it now, it brings back such wonderful memories.” —Sonali Ruder, New York, New York
Photo: Taste of Home
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cans diced tomatoes undrained, 14-1/2 ounces each
- 1/4 cup white wine optional
- 1 lb uncooked medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and seasonings; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes and, if desired, wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5-7 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Add shrimp and parsley; cook 5-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese. Let stand, covered, until cheese is softened.
Test Kitchen Tips
- For even more Mediterranean flavour, try adding 1/4 cup of chopped kalamata olives wiith the tomatoes.
- This saucy dish is great served over rice or pasta. Zucchini noodles and spaghetti squash also make delicious bases, and are low-carb, too.
- Like it spicy? Try adding a pinch of crushed red pepper with your other seasonings.
1-1/4 cups: 240 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 149mg cholesterol, 748mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fibre), 25g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.