English Pub Split Pea Soup
“This family favourite is the same recipe my grandmother used. Now with the magic of the slow cooker, I can spend 15 minutes putting it together, walk away for five hours, and come back to “soup’s on.” Finish it with more milk if you like your soup a bit thinner.” —Judy Batson, Tampa, Florida
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|8servings (2 quarts)||15minutes||5hours|
|8servings (2 quarts)||15minutes|
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 1-1/3 cups dried green split peas rinsed
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 bottle (12 oz) light beer
- 1 tbsp prepared English mustard
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Additional minced fresh parsley optional
Portions: servings (2 quarts)
Test Kitchen tip
- For a less chunky soup, puree in batches in a blender or food processor.
- We used Colman's prepared mustard when testing this recipe. If you can't find English mustard, horseradish mustard is a good substitute.
1 cup: 141 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 193mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 9g fiber), 9g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.