Number of servings : 24 Large Cookies
Cooking time: 12-15 Minutes
Type of meal : | Cookies | Cookies
Special diet :
¾ cup (175 mL) dried cherries
3 oz (90 mL) kirsch
½ cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
¼ tsp (1 mL) baking soda
¼ tsp (1 mL) baking powder
9 oz (280 g) dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
4 oz (125 g) unsalted butter 4 large eggs, room temperature
1 ½ cup (375 mL) granulated sugar
3 oz (90 g) dark chocolate chunks
1 oz (30 g) white chocolate chunks
2 tbsp (25 mL) pink peppercorns, some crushed, some whole
- In a small bowl, soak dried cherries in kirsch 1 hour, drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. In double boiler, or heatproof bowl set over pot of hot (not boiling) water, place the 9 oz chopped dark chocolate and butter; heat over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until chocolate and butter are completely melted and blended. Let cool.
- In a stand mixer bowl with whisk attachment, or in large bowl with electric beaters, beat eggs at medium speed, 1 minute. Add sugar and continue beating until eggs have tripled in volume, about 10 minutes. Pour in cooled chocolate mixture; whisk on low speed until blended. Whisk in dry ingredients at low speed until just combined. Using a spatula, fold in chocolate chunks and drained cherries. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180°C). Line 3 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Using 2 tablespoons, scoop cookie dough into 24 mounds onto prepared cookie trays, leaving 3 inches (7 cm) space between cookies to allow for spreading. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until the cookie centres start to deflate and the edges harden, while centres remain soft.
- Remove from oven and let cool on trays, 5 minutes, before transferring entire parchment paper sheets with the cookies onto racks to cool and leaving to rest, 20 minutes. Transfer sheets of cookies to flat surface and cut out heart shapes either freestyle with a paring knife or with a large cookie cutter. Cookies will be very soft with moist centres. Sprinkle with pink peppercorns to garnish.
Tip: Top vanilla or cherry ice cream with roughly chopped cookie scraps.
(Photo: Tango Photographie)