Creamy Cauliflower Pakora Soup
“My husband and I often crave pakoras, deep-fried fritters from India. I wanted to get the same flavours but use a healthier cooking technique, so I made soup using all the classic spices and our favorite veggie, cauliflower!” —Melody Johnson, DePere, Wisconsin
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|8servings (3 quarts)||20minutes||20 minutes|
|8servings (3 quarts)||20minutes|
- 1 large head cauliflower cut into small florets
- 5 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 1 carton (32 oz) vegetable stock
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Water or additional vegetable stock
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- lime wedges optional
Portions: servings (3 quarts)
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, bring first 14 ingredients to a boil. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth. Adjust consistency as desired with water or additional stock. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro. Serve hot, with lime wedges if desired.
Freeze option: Before adding cilantro, freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add water if necessary. Sprinkle with cilantro. If desired, serve with lime wedges.
Look for garam masala in the spice aisle.
1-1/2 cups: 135 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 645mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.