“This is a great easy chicken jambalaya recipe. It’s great to serve at parties and it reheats well after!” —Lynn Desjardins, Atkinson, New Hampshire
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 4 oz reduced-fat smoked turkey sausage diced
- 1/2 cup celery with leaves thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper chopped
- 2-3 tsp Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can no-salt-added diced tomatoes (14-1/2 oz), undrained
- green onions (optional), chopped
- In a large skillet lightly coated with cooking spray, saute chicken for 2-3 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in the next 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until heated through.
- Stir in tomatoes; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Serve with green onions if desired.
The following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
1 cup: 285 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 654mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fibre), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat.