Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Cakes | Cakes
Special diet :
1½ cups (375 mL) granulated sugar, divided
¾ cup (175 mL) cake-and-pastry flour
1/3 cup (75 mL) unsweetened cocoa
1 tbsp (15 mL) instant espresso power
1½ cups (375 mL) egg whites (about 12)
1 tsp (5 mL) cream of tartar
1 pinch salt
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
1 cup (250 mL) chopped semi-sweet chocolate
¾ cup (175 mL) coffee
½ cup (125 mL) brown sugar
2 tbsp (25 mL) corn syrup
1 cup (250 mL) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- In a bowl, sift ½ cup (125 mL) sugar with flour, cocoa and espresso powder.
- Place egg whites in large bowl of electric mixer, with cream of tartar and salt. Heat a few cups of water in medium saucepan and place bowl of egg whites over water, stirring, until egg whites feel a little warm. (This takes 3 to 5 minutes.) Start beating egg whites with mixer and gradually beat in remaining 1 cup (250 mL) sugar. Beat in vanilla. Gently fold in the flour-and-cocoa mixture in three additions. Fold in chopped chocolate.
- Spoon mixture into 10-in (26-cm) angel food cake pan. Bake in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean. Turn cake upside down on a rack and cool cake in pan. To remove cake from pan, use a thin knife to loosen it around tube and sides.
- For the sauce, place coffee, brown sugar and corn syrup in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and stir until smooth and melted.
- Slice cake and drizzle with chocolate sauce.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:3406