Spicy Chicken Tomato Soup
“Cumin, chili powder and cayenne pepper give my slow-cooked specialty its kick. I serve bowls of it with crunchy tortilla strips that bake in no time. Leftover soup freezes well for nights I don’t feel like cooking.” —Margaret Bailey, Coffeeville, Mississippi
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 cans chicken broth (14-1/2 oz each)
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can tomato purée (10-3/4 oz)
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles (10 oz)
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 to 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 to 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 white or yellow corn tortillas (6 inches) cut into 1/4-inch strips
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Place the tortilla strips on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 5 minutes; turn. Bake 5 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf from soup. Serve with tortilla strips.
1 serving: 196 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 800mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fibre), 19g protein.