Number of servings : 24 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour + 1 hour, cooling time
Type of meal : | Cakes | Cakes
Special diet :
1 cup blanched almonds
2 cups granulated sugar
2¼ cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon each baking soda and salt
4 large egg yolks
2/3 cup vegetable oil
½ cup fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
7 large egg whites
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter and flour a 10-inch Bundt or tube pan. In a food processor, process the almonds with ½ cup of the granulated sugar until finely ground. Onto a piece of waxed paper, sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt, then toss with the almond mixture.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on high, beat the egg yolks for 5 minutes, or until thick and light yellow.
- Gradually add the oil, 1 cup of the granulated sugar, the orange juice, and the rind. In another clean, large bowl, with clean beaters and the mixer on high, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Beat in the remaining ½ cup of the granulated sugar until stiff.
- Fold one-third of the egg whites into the yolk mixture, then all of the flour mixture and the remaining whites. Spoon into the pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs. Transfer to a rack.
- To make the glaze: While the cake bakes, in a small bowl, stir together 1¾ cups of the confectioners’ sugar and 3 tablespoons of the orange juice; set aside. In a small saucepan, bring the remaining orange juice and ¼ cup of confectioners’ sugar and the rind to a simmer over medium heat.
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, pierce it all over with a toothpick, then drizzle with the hot glaze, letting it soak in. Leave the cake in the pan for 30 minutes. Turn out onto a serving plate and cool 30 minutes more. Drizzle with the remaining cold glaze.