Lentil, Bacon and Bean Soup
“This quick soup feels extra cozy with lots of lentils and a touch of smoky, bacony goodness. You might want to cook up extra—I think it’s even better the next day!” —Janie Zirbser, Mullica Hill, New Jersey
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 4 bacon strips chopped
- 6 medium carrots chopped
- 2 small onions diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme minced
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine (or additional chicken stock)
- 2 cans butter beans (15 or 16 oz. each), rinsed and drained
- 2 cans lentils (15 oz. each), rinsed and drained
- fresh thyme sprigs optional
- Top with a dollop of sour cream for a cool flavour contrast.
- Use shredded chicken or turkey as a leaner alternative to bacon.
- Butter bean or lima bean, it's pretty much the same thing—although butter bean sounds a little more appealing to us.
1 cup: 271 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 672mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 13g fibre), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 medium-fat meat.