Greek Sausage Pita Pizzas
“I turned my favourite sandwich into a pizza. It’s perfect for lunch or dinner, but don’t forget it when you’re having a bunch of people over—it makes a fantastic appetizer, too.” —Marion McNeill, Mayfield Heights, Ohio
Taste of Home
- 1 package Italian sausage links casings removed, 19 ounces
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 whole pita breads
- 2 plum tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1 medium ripe avocado peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 small cucumber sliced
- 1/2 cup refrigerated tzatziki sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook sausage and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking sausage into large crumbles; drain.
- Meanwhile, place pita breads on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned and almost crisp.
- Top pita breads with sausage mixture, tomatoes, avocado and cheese. Bake 3-4 minutes longer or until heated through. Top with cucumbers; drizzle with tzatziki sauce.
1 pizza: 632 calories, 40g fat (12g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 1336mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fibre), 25g protein.