Garden Chicken Cacciatore
“Here’s the perfect Italian meal to serve company. While simmering, it frees you up to visit with your guests and always receives rave reviews! I like to serve it with hot cooked pasta, a tossed salad and a dry red wine. Mangia!” —Martha Schirmacher, Sterling Heights, Michigan
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs about 3 pounds
- 2 medium green peppers chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes with basil oregano and garlic, undrained, 14-1/2 ounces
- 1 can tomato paste 6 ounces
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp cold water
- minced fresh parsley optional
- Place chicken in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In a medium bowl, combine green peppers, tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, broth, wine, garlic, salt and pepper; pour over chicken. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until chicken is tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high 30 minutes or until sauce is thickened. If desired, sprinkle with parsley before serving.
3 ounces cooked chicken with about 1/2 cup sauce: 207 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fibre), 23g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.