Creamy Vanilla ice cream
Number of servings : 8 Prep time: 2h30 Cooking time: Type of meal : | Ice creams/Sorbets | Ice creams/Sorbets
Number of servings : 8
Prep time: 2h30
Type of meal : | Ice creams/Sorbets | Ice creams/Sorbets
Special diet :
2 cups (500 mL) whipping cream
2 cups (500 mL) 10% cream
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise in half
6 egg yolks
½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
1. In heavy saucepan, heat whipping cream, cream and vanilla bean over medium-low heat until bubbles just begin to form around edge, 8 to 12 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in large bowl, whisk egg yolks with sugar and salt; gradually whisk about 1 cup (250 mL) of the hot cream mixture into yolks, then pour mixture back into pan, whisking constantly.
3. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until the mixture is thick enough to coat back of spoon, 8 to 12 minutes. Immediately strain through fine-mesh sieve into bowl and cool quickly by setting bowl in larger bowl of ice. Stir often for at least 15 minutes or until chilled.
4. Remove vanilla bean from strainer, scraping seeds back into custard.
5. Pour custard into the cylinder of an ice cream machine. Freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Photo: My Yen Trung Photography