Classic Chips Ahoy Recipe
I’m a lady who unabashedly prefers her cookies thin, chewy, and intoxicatingly buttery. If I want a hunk of cake, I go for the cake section. This isn’t to say, however, that the pre-eminent cookie of my youth was not the mighty and comparatively meaty Chips Ahoy! And not those late-issue, M&M-flecked monstrosities, either. I’m talking the real-deal original flavor, in all their dry and crumbly wonder. This is my version of that wonderfully named cookie.
Number of servings : 36 cookies
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Type of meal : | Cookies | Cookies
Special diet : | Gluten free
1-1/2 cups oat flour
1 cup Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free Baking Flour
1 cup vegan sugar
¼ cup ground fl ax meal
¼ cup arrowroot
1-1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons melted refined coconut oil or canola oil
6 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 cup vegan gluten-free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, flax meal, arrowroot, xanthan gum, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the coconut oil, applesauce, and vanilla and stir with a rubber spatula until a thick dough forms. Stir in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Drop the dough by the teaspoonful onto the prepared baking sheets, about 11/2 inches apart.
- Bake for 7 minutes, rotate the baking sheets, and bake for 7 minutes more, or until the cookies are golden brown and firm.
- Let stand on the baking sheets for 15 minutes before eating.
Excerpted from BabyCakes Covers the Classics. Copyright © 2011 by Erin McKenna. Photographed by Tara Donne. Excerpted by permission of Clarkson Potter, a division of Random House, Inc. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission from the publisher.