Number of servings : 4 to 6
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 75 minutes + 2½ hours resting + 6 hours refrigeration
Type of meal : | Cakes | Cakes
Special diet :
2 containers, 475 g each ricotta cheese, at room temperature
5 eggs, at room temperature
250 ml (1 cup) sugar
5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
15 ml (1 tbsp) grated lemon zest
120 g (4 oz) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
Icing sugar, as required
- Preheat oven to 180ºC / 350ºF. Butter and flour a 20-cm / 8” springform pan.
- In a food processor, pulse the cheese until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the sugar, vanilla and lemon zest. Beat well to combine.
- Using a rubber spatula, add the chocolate and blend well.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake 75 minutes. The centre will still be soft and the cake will be coming away from the sides of the pan.
- Turn oven off, leave the door ajar, and allow the cake to cool in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove to the counter and allow to cool completely to room temperature.
- Remove the sides of the pan and cover the cake with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 6 hours.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar, slice into wedges and serve cold.