Simple, Effective Oral Health Tips
According to the World Health Organization (WHO) Oral health is a state of being free from chronic mouth and facial pain, oral and throat cancer, oral sores, birth defects such as cleft lip and palate, periodontal disease, tooth decay and tooth loss, and other diseases and disorders that affect the oral cavity.”
- Follow the tips below to keep your teeth and gums clean and healthy.
- Brush your teeth regularly. The main cause of tooth decay is plaque, a film of bacteria that clings to the teeth and gums. Cleaning after meals will help to get rid of it and also reduce stains.
- Floss regularly. Using a gentle back-and-forth motion, pass the floss between two teeth. At the gumline, curve the floss in a C-shape against one tooth, then scrape downward on the upper teeth, upward on the lower teeth.
- Consider investing in an electric toothbrush. Although it costs more, over time it is more effective than a regular toothbrush in removing plaque from your teeth.
- Gargle regularly with cold black tea. The tannin in tea acts as an astringent, strengthening gums.
- Massage your gums. Using your fingertip or a patented rubber gum massager (available from chemists) gently massage your gums in small circular movements several times a week to improve circulation and boost oral health.
- Add 2 drops tea-tree oil to water to make a powerful antiseptic gargle (but make sure you don’t swallow it). Or try gargling with salt, a general antiseptic. Salty water also soothes a sore throat.
- To help reduce inflammation and fight plaque, stir 1 teaspoon aloe vera gel into warm water and gargle.
- Treat a mouth ulcer by rinsing your mouth out with a solution of 1 teaspoon 3 per cent hydrogen peroxide in 50 ml water. This will disinfect your mouth, clean up bacteria and speed healing. Finally, to put a protective coating on the ulcer, dab it with vegetable glycerine.
- For bleeding gums, gargle with 1 teaspoon witch hazel in 50 ml water. Alternatively, use 1 cup warm water with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 6 drops goldenseal tincture.