8. Your Outdoor Adventure Leads to Tragedy
In the spring of 2012, 24-year-old Aimee Copeland from Georgia was enjoying a zip line adventure 50 miles outside of Atlanta. Carefree fun turned to horror when the line broke, tossing Copeland to the ground where she suffered a calf gash that required 22 staples to close. A few days later reeling from unbearable pain, Copeland was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis—a flesh eating disease. Surgeons removed Copeland’s hands, a leg and her remaining foot in order to save her life. During her fall in the woods, Copeland’s wound probably picked up the Aeromonas hydrophila bacteria. Commonly found in the environment, the bacteria rarely causes the flesh eating disease—the U.S. sees less than 250 cases each year.