There are still several “blackhouses” on the island, so named because a peat fire was used for heating and cooking, but there was no chimney and the window openings were quite small. These blackhouses were built of stone in the early 1800s and usually had a thatched roof. Some were still inhabited until the early 1970s, but these had modern fireplaces and functioning chimneys. There are two original blackhouses that are available to be toured; a few others have been completely restored and modernized, and can be rented for self-catered holidays.
St. Clement’s Church, another memorable stop on our journey, was founded by Alasdair MacLeod, 8th Chief of the Clan MacLeod. He died in 1547 and his tomb is situated in the church’s recess.