How to Vermicompost
– You will need a wide, shallow, floorless bin made from brick or wood.
– Place it outside on natural soil with some form of covering to keep the rain off.
– Lay shredded plant material in a layer no more than 30 cm deep. Any more than this will prevent heat from building up and the low temperature may kill the worms.
– Introduce some compost worms and continue to add more plant material from week to week. A mixture of leaves, vegetable waste, fresh manure, waste paper and grass clipping works well.
– Inspect the compost daily and add water as necessary to make sure that it is kept moist, but not wet.
– Spread the mixture out to cool if it becomes too hot.